Friday, June 10, 2011

Smaller range, Bigger portions

Donegal Rapeseed Oil is farmed and produced in Donegal and a local butcher here in Emyvale stocks it. Though the bottle is glass, the cap is plastic, so for this month it's still out of bounds for me. But definately worth knowing. They have a list of shops that stock it, including restaurants and cafe's that use it. Very handy.

Aoife at icanhascook gave me a few name's to check out and i'll be up around the food markets in dublin tomorrow, so will hopefully have more of a selection of things to eat and a few good resources to share with you after the weekend.

Even though I haven't had as much a range of food to eat over the past fortnight, I've probably been eating more. Both conciously, so as I get enough nutrition out of the food and also just because without the sugars (and my constant snacking on biscuits) to satisfy the appetite I find myself wanting much larger portions. (for those who don't know me, i'm a tiny person, so "much larger" isn't actually very large at all). I baked an apple crumble. Ate the whole thing in one sitting. Yum.

Todays meals

fresh baked bread


omelette

  • breakfast Again, very plain porridge in milk
  • lunch Home baked bread, toasted and poached egg, with nettle tea
  • dinner Omellete with mushrooms, tomato, pepper basil and oregano, with three eggs and fresh coriander (i actually forgot i'd already eaten eggs)
  • tea Apple crumble


Sugarless yet Tasty Apple Crumble
  1. Preheat oven to 180
  2. Peel large cooking apple and slice (place slices in water to keep from browning, or do this step just before putting them in the dish)
  3. Make crumble dough with butter and flour. I don't weigh thing generally, but it was roughly 85g of butter and about a cup and a half of flour. Mix/kneed them (i just use my hands) until it makes a kind of bread crumby type texture, may need to add more flour so there's no chunks of butter.
  4. Place apple slices in dish. I used one of these 9.5-in. oval dishes, so if you're using bigger, double up ingredients. I put in one layer, then a layer of oats, then a layer of apple, then the crumble mix and another sprinkling of oats. I also pushed a bay leaf down into the middle of it, which i removed when cooked.
  5. Bake for 30 - 45 minutes

Here's an interesting page on Harvesting Seasalt for anyone not so landlocked.

And here's a painting, just so you know i'm actually still doing something besides rambling about food. Emily's constructing wings while some eegit is off "fixing things".


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...