Monday, June 13, 2011

Love the markets


Panicky Recipe for Weird Looking Sham Cookies

Ingredients
about 2 cups of Self-raising flour
handful of oats
3/4 cup of softened Butter
1/2 cup of honey
cup(ish) of buttermilk
egg
  1. Preheat oven at 180
  2. Mix the flour, oats, butter and honey together with a spoon and then your hand to get it all nice and squashed and dooughy.
  3. When its kind of crumbly pour in too much buttermilk so the mix gets sloppy and you have to throw in a handful more flour.
  4. Mix it all together, despairing at how its not holding well.
  5. Remember that you should have prepared baking trays. Line two baking trays with grease proof paper or flour, or if you're paranoid like me, both. Cover the kitchen in baking dough in the process.
  6. Spoon the sloppy mess onto the baking trays in inch/2 inch circles.
  7. Remember you didn't add the egg.
  8. Put it all back in the bowl, mix in a large egg.
  9. Spoon the not so sloppy dough onto the baking trays in neater inch/2 inch circles.
  10. Bake for about 12/15 minutes.
  11. Add 50g of sugar next time.
I'm a messy baker/cook. and generally when trying a recipe, I'll look at three or four different ones and then just make it up as i go along. Luckily i'm never too fussy with the results. But I am determined to find a tasty biscuit recipe, with the ingredients available to me, by the end of the month.

Thank you Irish food markets! I now have Eamon Magee's honey from Wicklow, onions and garlic from Galway (it is quite annoying how these are so often imported when they are easily grown here), some super tasty cheese from Oisin farm house, Limerick, apples from Brendan at the Temple Bar food market (Just coming into season, have only been able to find cooking apples before), Oats, and a few other random things. But, yes, taste! Especially pleased with the honey. I bought two jars, but I've one nearly finished already. I only went to SuperNatural food market on Pearse Street and Temple Bar as my bag was already full by then. After chatting to a few folks found no word of anyone who does their own salt.

I haven't really done anything lately except look for food, so I avoided the internet for the weekend and got some work done. Finishing off Niamh deBarra's Echo cover. Niamh came across this cd template. Still need to work on layout but suits the image nicely.




I always think this factory looks just right in the landscape. Maybe its the striped chimneys, give it a quainter feel.

2 comments:

Nigel said...

Is that the Platin cement works just outside Drogheda? As a child I loved the striped candy cane style colour of those chimneys.

Unknown said...

I think so. always compelled to photograph it when passing. all chimneys should be candy cane coloured.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...